Are There Scams on Amazon: What Are the Most Popular and How to Report Them
Is there anyone who hasn’t heard of Amazon? It is one of the world’s largest online marketplaces. According to company reports, last year’s revenues were over $390 billion. You can imagine how many people are served through this online marketplace every second. Therefore, it is not surprising that the number of Amazon scams is on the rise. The war on cybercrime continues, and the best thing you can do is learn as much as possible about the existing types of scams. This would help you avoid falling victim to Amazon Marketplace scams. All that you need to do is periodically Google “just launched Amazon scams” or “Amazon just launched scams”.
The Most Common Scams on Amazon
Many small businesses use different online marketplaces to sell their products. Amazon is one of them. There is the possibility of direct and indirect sales.Sellers compete to acquire customers. However, not everyone adheres to fair competition, and because of this, they turn from sellers into scammers. We will discuss Amazon 3rd party seller scams and other types of fraud below.
Amazon Seller Scams
There are sellers who use unfair competition. For example, they write negative reviews to their competitors or too positive ones. How can positive reviews hurt someone’s reputation?When they look unnatural, it raises doubts and potential clients may think that they are not real. Of course, these are not all Amazon third-party sellers scams.
- Substitution of categories. “Best seller” is an established mark on Amazon. Some sellers try to get it by cheating. For example, switching a competitor’s products to a different category.
- Amazon review scams. It’s not about writing them, but about maintaining existing ones. For example, someone wrote that they received a poor quality product. An unscrupulous seller can start supporting this person and talk about a similar situation with them. This lowers the seller’s rating on different platforms, not just Amazon. And even the fact of resolving the dispute with the original commentator would not improve the situation.
- Amazon affiliate scams. Controversy about the program continues to this day. There have been many complaints from customers that Amazon has closed their accounts due to a breach of a working agreement. In May 2021, the platform filed a lawsuit over Affiliate programs and the proceedings are still ongoing. Therefore, we would like to warn you against using it until the end of the trial.
- Amazon car sales scams. You may receive a letter from Amazon with a good offer to buy a car. You already guessed that you would not get any car. However, you know what is the funniest thing? Amazon doesn’t sell cars. And they have repeatedly reported this. That is why it is a mystery for us why Amazon car scams are still working.
- Among Amazon new seller scams is an inventory tie up. It may have existed before, but certainly not on such a scale. For this, fake or real credit cards are used and most of the promotional items are bought up before the holidays. As a result, no one would buy the product. To prevent this type of fraud, it is worth introducing limits on the number of sales per transaction.
Amazon Buyer Scams
- Amazon delivery scams. Usually, it occurs when buyers claim that the products they bought online were not delivered. And after that, they are forced to ask for a refund. Sellers can also fall prey to this type of scam. Therefore, in order to avoid any disputes and to protect both parties, the parcel can be tracked by number and find out when it was sent and where it is now. Amazon shipping scams are often just part of a larger scam.
- Amazon return scams. You need to be careful here because there are hundreds of ways to cheat. For example, a quality product is exchanged for a damaged one and requires its replacement or a refund. To avoid this, sellers often glue a sticker, which is a guarantee of quality. And if the product is really damaged, then the seller would be able to recognize their sticker and make a return.
- Amazon rewards scams. You may receive a call or email that you have won a prize or a gift card. Unfortunately, these can be scammers. The most frequent reports are of Amazon coupon scams, and gift card fraud. You are offered to buy them at a super bargain price or to participate in a promotion, and a gift card would be a prize.
- Amazon order scams. They could be attributed to another type of fraud. However, they are directly related to buyers. After all, they are the ones who receive the order confirmation emails. It would seem, why confirm what you did not order? However, sometimes such human qualities as greed play a big role. In such letters, it is indicated that the goods and delivery are fully paid, and you just need to enter some of your personal data. Unfortunately, those who become victims of such deception are losing much more than they expected to receive.
Amazon Phishing Scams
Phishing is a common practice when scammers send people fake emails and call with “good offers”.
- Amazon email scams. In addition to the possible emails that we described above – an order confirmation letter, a message about a prize won – there are a few more things to be wary of. Never follow the links that are attached to the letter. Especially if you are asked to log in via a link. All registered purchases should be displayed in your personal account. If they are not there, and you have received letters about some goods, then you can safely delete them and write to the support service about an attempted Amazon scams email. In email, you can be asked to take a survey, but it is just a part of Amazon survey scams.
- Amazon call scams. Scammers try to intimidate people with such calls. For example, they report that there are serious problems with your Amazon account – inability to fulfill an order, suspicious activity, lack of important information. A bot may call you and ask you to follow the instructions. For example, press 1 several times. If you receive such a call, we advise you to hang up. You can contact the Amazon security service via official contacts and clarify if the problem really exists. Amazon phone scams due to Prime Accounts are also not rare. A “security officer” would call and inform you that your account has been hacked, and you need to urgently take action. Otherwise, it would no longer be subject to recovery. A person may not immediately recognize the kind of Amazon Prime scams and communicate everything that is required of them. As a result, scammers would be able to get real access to your account thanks to you. Amazon scams calls are more dangerous than emails because you need to react immediately.
By the way, they also can be called Amazon services scams because scammers are trying to convince people that they are working on Amazon.
Amazon Giveaway Scams
The Giveaway is a legit, but scammers try to make money on it. Therefore, people often believe that they have become winners. Indeed, out of a thousand letters sent out, at least 1-2 people actually took part in the competition.
Amazon Credit Card Scams
This is directly related to payment fraud. Most often, scammers would try to convince you to pay outside the platform. So you can lose money and not receive the goods. In addition, you would not be able to file a complaint. To avoid Amazon card scams, stick to the platform to process all orders and payments.
Amazon Payments Scams on Craigslist
If you find an item on Craigslist, the seller may suggest that you pay through Amazon. If you contact the platform, it would calm you down because this practice is popular with small entrepreneurs. However, pay attention to the link that would be sent to you for payment. It may not be real. When you go to it and enter your details, the fraudsters would gain access to your credit card. And you became on the list of victims of Craigslist Amazon scams.
Amazon Job Scams
You may get a call where someone would encourage you to apply for a job from home. They talk about a good salary. But there is a problem: if a scammer tells you that you got the job, they may ask you to buy a starter kit or something else. It is also called Amazon work from home scams.
How to Report Amazon Scams?
The official website has all the information you need to know how to report fraud and keep yourself safe. If you want more publicity, Google “Amazon report scams”. Google would give you dozens of different forums where you can share your experience and read about other types of fraud from real people.
Are there scams on Amazon that are not so popular? Unfortunately, yes. However, all the secrets become clear. It is only necessary to detect signs of deception in time.
- Great! Did you like the article and we would like to know what it was about?
- You didn't like the article? Tell us why!